Today the Xandros team is pleased to announce the updated release of our community edition. Xandros Community Edition is free to download, free to use, and free to redistribute. It is a subset of our Xandros Enterprise Linux product. This release comes with no formal support and users can find help, tips and tricks through our online forums.
One of the questions we get about Xandros Community Edition vs Freespire which is our other free operating system that we offer. Some of the differences are:
- Freespire tries to stay as close to the definition of free software as possible. Meaning we try to limit the use of proprietary code and drivers. Xandros Community Edition does contain proprietary code and drivers
- New releases of Freespire are released every 6 months. Xandros Community Edition follows the same update schedule as Xandros Enterprise Linux. Minor updates and security fixes every 3 months and new releases every 12 to 14 months.
- Freespire is self support only. PC/OpenSystems LLC customers can add installed instances of Xandros Community Edition to their support contracts.
- Freespire uses GNOME with an option for the i3 Window Manager. Xandros Community Edition uses GNOME with GNOME Classic in the base install
With Xandros Community Edition being a truly community enterprise desktop operating system many of our customers use Xandros Community Edition for many of their non-mission critical deployments which include research, development and testing. For more information you can refer to our FAQ
Xandros Community Edition contains the following updates:
- Linux kernel 5.19.0-50
- GNOME 42.9 with GNOME Classic installed for users who need a lighter option or who may not like the modern GNOME experience
- Brave Browser 1.56
- Geary Mail Client
- Rhythmbox Music Player
- Video Player
- Timeshift Snapshot
- Discover Software Center
- OpenSSH Server and Client
- All security updates to July 24, 2023
You can find a complete list of all installed packages here
You can download Xandros Community Edition from here