Xandros Community Edition is a free and open source release of Xandros Enterprise Linux. While a free release; it is a full featured. Xandros Community Edition is free to download, redistribute and can be used on an unlimited number of systems. Xandros Community Edition is comparable to what CentOS was and what Rocky Linux is. Xandros Community Edition being a Debian based system the full suite of applications are available in the repositories and FlatPak repositories.
Release schedule: Xandros Community Edition is released at the same time new releases of Xandros Enterprise Linux are released. The biggest difference between Xandros Community Edition and Freespire is that Xandros Community Edition does contain non-free codecs and drivers and Xandros Community Edition is updated and released every 11 to 18 months where Freespire is released every 6 months.
Xandros Community Edition contains the following in the default system:
- Full GUI environment – GNOME Desktop - The gold standard of the Linux desktop.
- Linux kernel LTS - The Linux LTS kernel is a long term supported kernel that recieves updates and fixes for a longer period of time.
- Brave Browser - Web browser based on technology from Google. Uniquely engineered for security, privacy and performance.
- Geary - Mail app compatible with IMAP, POP and Microsoft Exchange
- ExFAT support - filesystem that you use to read flash drives
- Multimedia support - support for consuming different audio and video formats
- Balena Etcher - Tool for writing ISO images to a USB stick
- Timeshift - Utility for rolling your system back in case of failure
- OnlyOffice - Microsoft Office compatible office suite that can handle even the most complex documents
- VLC - Extensive Multimedia Player for consuming media
- Zswap enabled for better performance and compatibility for hardware with less than 4 gb of RAM
Minimum System Requirements
Processor: 64 bit AMD or Intel CPU
RAM: 4 GB of RAM for installation, 8 GB or more of RAM recommended
Storage: 20 GB or more
Network support: Wifi, Fiber Optic, and Ethernet support
You can download Xandros Community Edition from here